The UN World Food Programme estimates that over 30 percent of children in Uganda are stunted from malnutrition. With a HIV prevalence rate of 16%, Uganda has one of the highest rates of HIV/AIDS in the world. 150,000 children live with the disease. More than two million children are orphans, 43% of them having lost parents to AIDS. Around 30,000 new-borns were infected with HIV in 2010 in Uganda.
According to The Guardian, Uganda’s success in primary education is falling apart. UNESCO estimates that almost 70% of children in Uganda who enrol in primary school will drop out before finishing.
Henrietta Rose was a valued supporter of Sky Is The Limit from 2000 up until her passing in June 2018. She inspired Ecologia to become involved in the support of the school in 2004. In her memory, The Henrietta Rose Memorial Fund was set up to raise funds to rebuild Sky Is The Limit classrooms. To find out more click here.
To find out more about Sky is the Limit Children’s Centre click here.
What we are doing
In Fort Portal, Western Uganda, at Sky is the Limit Children’s Centre, we support orphaned and vulnerable children living with HIV/AIDS, providing them with a home and education in a safe, caring community. We are currently supporting them by:
- Providing children orphaned by or living with HIV/AIDs a safe and caring place to live within their own community.
- Providing HIV+ children with the medical treatment and professional counselling they need. Although anti-retroviral drugs are free in Uganda, there are long waiting times at clinics and the drugs are often unavailable.
- Providing education to resident children as well as to vulnerable children from the surrounding community at The Sky is The Limit School, which caters for 370 children between the age of 3 to 14 years old.
- Providing clean and free water to children at the Centre and the school.
- Teaching vocational and life skills to children and young people at the Sky is The Limit Farm and its Tailoring Shop.
What we have achieved
- Ecologia has funded a healthy meal every day for each child at the school, the only daily hot meal many of them receive, which improves their ability to concentrate and provides them with the vital nutrition they need for healthy development.
- With our support, Sky Is The Limit has been able to build two wells – one at the Centre and one at the school – which provide the children with access to clean and free water.
- We have provided funding for fruit trees and livestock for the farm, as well as sewing machines for the tailor shop.